I recently had the honor of speaking with, laughing with, engaging with- some amazing teens as we set out to conquer and tear down some obstacles that were blocking their paths to living out their best at our WellBE-ing for Teens event . Many and most of these, as you can guess, had to do with body image– perfection on size, shape, appearance and on perception– what their peers thought of them based on the aforementioned.
What I saw in these young ladies was, of course, beauty, strength, courage and love just waiting to be released to its potential. The transformation seen was eye opening and rewarding as they slipped into a safe place to be vulnerable… to be heard… and to DO not TRY some fitness type activities they didn’t think they could do because their minds and voices from others were always blocking them. The sheer joy, smiles, tears… breakthroughs had my heart so full and still does as I write!
It brought back a lot of memories for me as well and the awkward moments of growing into my body and my own skin during those years. One of the biggest things that came up was what I would tell my younger self… the list is long but to name a few:
- Take that leap and believe you can. Get back up when it doesn’t work (because that will definitely happen) and you truly do gain strength, confidence and courage each and every time you push fear aside and participate in your life!
- Self talk really is a “thing” so keep it positive, kind and encouraging especially when you’re in front of mirrors
- Relax– everything will be ok and even our mistakes teach us lessons
- Love your body for it is giving you the strength to move and play each and every day. That everyones body is different and that’s what makes us all unique– different shapes and sizes and its a beautiful thing.
- Keep doing what makes you feel alive, happy and let go of what doesn’t.
- Challenge yourself to new things, be curious and keep close… those friends who encourage you to be better, do better and feel better.
“Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile though my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts.”- Yogananda
Fuel yourself healthy- mind+body+spirit xx, a-m